Christian Atsu found dead in rubble of Turkey earthquake, agent confirms
Footballer Christian Atsu has been found dead under the rubble of his home almost two weeks after the Turkey earthquake, his agent has confirmed.
The Ghana international, 31, had spells with Premier League sides Everton, Chelsea and Newcastle.
Atsu was found dead following a 12-day search amid the rubble of the earthquake that has devastated Turkey and Syria.
His agent, Murat Uzunnmehmet, confirmed his body had been found in a statement.
“Atsu’s lifeless body was found under the rubble. Currently, more items are still being taken out. His phone was also found,” he told reporters in Hatay, where Atsu, 31, had been playing for Hatayspor.
Atsu spent some time at Everton, Bournemouth, Porto, Vitesse, Malaga among others, most recently playing for Turkish club Hatayspor.
He scored a last-minute winner for Hatayspor in their home game against Turkish Super Lig rivals Kasimpasa on Sunday, February 5 – just hours before the devastating event unfolded.
Hatayspor had initially announced that Atsu was found alive and pulled from the rubble on Tuesday, February 7 with Atsu’s agent, Nana Sechere, telling Mirror Football that his client was plunged from the ninth floor of an 11-storey building following the earthquake.
Sechere was told that Atsu was in the hospital and stable, but had not heard from him. On Wednesday, February 9 Hatayspor announced that he was still missing.