Real Madrid ‘submit’ second Kylian Mbappe transfer bid after PSG set asking price
By Freddie Keighley | Mirror |
Real Madrid have submitted a second bid for Kylian Mbappe worth €170million (£145.5m) as they look to test Paris Saint-Germain’s resolve, according to reports.
Los Blancos saw a €160million (£137m) offer for the France forward rejected earlier this week, with PSG transfer chief Leonardo blasting the Spanish club for failing to meet their asking price.
The sporting director declared Mbappe would be going nowhere for less than the £166million PSG paid Monaco for his services in 2018.
Leonardo told RMC Sport: “Kylian Mbappe wants to leave, that seems clear… If he wants to leave, we will not stop him, but on our terms.”
Mbappe, 22, is keen to move to the Santiago Bernabeu and PSG face losing him for free next summer, when his contract expires, if they do not strike a deal with Real Madrid.
But Leonardo appears to be driving a hard bargain for the World Cup winner, partly because PSG will need to pay Monaco €35million (£30m) if they sell Mbappe or he renews his contract.
“We have no plans to talk to Real Madrid again,” said Leonardo earlier this week. “The deadline is August 31 at midnight.
This is how the transfer window is, for us we are clear: we keep him and we extend.
“The deadline is August 31 at midnight. This is how the transfer window is, for us we are clear: we keep him and we extend.
“But we’re not going to let him go for less than what we paid when we still owe Monaco money.”
Mbappe is one of the most-coveted players in European football and he has scored 133 goals in 174 games for PSG after joining on an initial loan in 2017.
Last season, he scored a remarkable 42 times in 47 games as PSG won the Coupe de France but missed out on the Ligue 1 title to Lille.
Meanwhile, Leonardo has been left unhappy by Real Madrid’s pursuit of the prolific frontman and accused them of underhand approaches.
He added: “In terms of our position on Real, it [the £137m bid] seems like a strategy to try to get a no from us, to show that they have tried everything and to wait for a year to get him for free.
“For the last two years, Real Madrid have been behaving like this, it is not correct, illegal even because they contacted the player. It is unacceptable for us, because it is not correct.
“It is proof of the strategy: an offer comes one year before the end of his contract and seven days before the end of the window.
“They want us to reject to show to Kylian that they tried everything and to start negotiating for next year.”
Leonardo also said he had received assurances from Mbappe that he will not leave PSG for nothing next summer.