Zimbabwe News and Internet Radio

Woman tells of 6-hour captive rape horror

By Tanaka Mrewa

A woman from Tsholotsho has told a magistrate how she was allegedly forcibly taken out of her home at knife point by a man from her neighbourhood who whipped her all the way to his homestead where he allegedly raped her overnight.

court-gavelThe woman said she only managed to escape at around 5AM the following day after her attacker fell asleep.

A court heard that the man whipped his victim while threatening to stab her if she made any noise.

Mqondisi Sibanda (32) pleaded not guilty to kidnapping and rape when he appeared before Bulawayo Regional Magistrate Mr Chrispen Mberewere on Friday.

Sibanda said he did not have much to say in defence and the court could take any action it deemed necessary.

The magistrate remanded him in custody to Wednesday for judgment.

Prosecuting, Mr Simbarashe Manyiwa told the court that on March 11 this year, Sibanda went to the victim’s place of residence at around 11PM.

“Accused person pushed complainant’s door open and dragged her to his homestead. He whipped her all the way. Upon arrival he stripped her and raped her at knife point, threatening to stab her if she screamed. Complainant escaped at 5AM. She reported the matter to her mother who accompanied her to the police,” said Mr Manyiwa.

Testifying, the victim told the court that Sibanda drew an Okapi knife from his pocket and ordered her to follow him.

“I was sleeping with my sister in our hut when he budged in. I resisted his order. I punched his hand that had an Okapi and it fell to the floor. My sister took it away and hid it. He grabbed me by the arm and ordered me to dress up. He force marched me to his house. I tried to run away along the way but he caught up with me. He threatened to stab me if I tried to flee again,” she said.

The woman said when they got to his homestead, her attacker forcibly removed all her clothes and pushed her onto the bed.

“He raped me through the night. At 5AM, I asked him to release me but he refused. He went back to sleep and that was when I fled from his house. I narrated the ordeal to my mother,” she said. Chronicle