“Tired” Alick Macheso takes a breather, suspends all shows set for January
Sungura ace Alick Macheso has reportedly suspended shows for the first month of the year, as he and his band seek to recover from the exertions of the festive season.
Macheso had a whirlwind end to 2024, as he and his band were booked for appearances across the country.
In an interview with Herald, the head of publicity for Orchestra Mberikwazvo, Tichaona Makahamadze, said Extra Basso had decided to take a break due to a taxing festive season schedule.
“We are taking a break for our annual leave after a busy festive season, during which we performed daily from December 20 through New Year’s Eve.
“As musicians, we work hard during the festive season, as people need fun during the holidays.
“Typically, we hold an average of three shows per week, so it’s advisable to take a break in January and recharge our batteries ahead of the new season, which begins in February,” he said.
Makahamadze said that life on the road had not been easy for Macheso and his troops, as they sometimes missed their loved ones while they were performing.
“As a band, we always check on each other, and we are pleased to be going on holiday in January after a busy year. The life of an artiste can be challenging because we are constantly travelling across the country.
“There are times when musicians miss their families, which can be tough for any family setup,” he explained.
Makahamadze said fans could look forward to a rejuvenated Macheso when the band returned.
“We will resume shows in the first week of February after a well-deserved rest, and our fans can expect an electrifying comeback. While the band is on annual leave, we will hold rehearsals during the last week of January to ensure we come back in good shape.
“We are known for giving our all on stage wherever we perform, and our fans know this well.”



