Prominent preacher Uebert Angel has rallied his charitable foundation to donate mealie meal, blankets and clothes to the victims of Cyclone Idai which ravaged Manicaland Province.
The Uebert Angel Foundation was in Chiredzi on Monday, distributing distributing bags of mealie meal to some of the victims affected by the tropical cyclone.
On Tuesday they moved to Chimanimani where they handed out much needed blankets and clothes. Its estimated some 50,000 households have been affected by the cyclone.
So far, an estimated 250 deaths have been recorded, with 330 people still missing, and about 270,000 in need of aid, according to the government and the United Nations.
- more than 250 lives lost;
- 21,940 people displaced;
- 175 people injured and needing healthcare;
- more than 200 people are missing;
- 50,000 households affected;
- 2,103 houses completely destroyed, while 384 are partially damaged;
- 44 business enterprises destroyed;
- 48 schools demolished;
- 1,993 latrines destroyed, raising fears of a possible cholera outbreak;
- 95% of the road network destroyed and 10 bridges demolished;
- 1,362 cattle, 49 goats, 561 sheep and 12,413 poultry perished;
- 101 boreholes and water sources destroyed; and
- more than 20,000 hectares of planted agricultural products destroyed.