Property worth over $150 000 was destroyed when fire gutted Mimi’s Trading shop at the corner of Julius Nyerere and Charter Street in Harare today.
The Fire Brigade arrived just as the raging inferno was spreading to other shops.
The shop’s owner Mr White Kassim Machemba said he lost property worth more than $150 000.
He said the fire was ignited by sparks from a welding machine which was being used in the shop. Mr Machemba said he suddenly heard the welder screaming fire, fire prompting him and the other employees to look for water containers and try and douse the flames.
“A welder was busy fitting a cage in the shop and as he was grinding it cardboard boxes that were nearby caught fire. We tried to put out the fire with 20 litres of water to no avail,” he said.