Zimbabwe News and Internet Radio

Murder suspect dies in custody

By Collette Mukome

MUTARE – A murder suspect (70) collapsed and died while waiting for trial at Mutare Remand Prison.

File picture of riot police at Harare Magistrates Court
File picture of riot police at Harare Magistrates Court

Edna Taramiwa from Chief Zimunya’s area suffered a diabetic attack while in remand prison and later died at Mutare Provincial Hospital.

Zimbabwe Prisons and Correctional Services public relations officer for Manicaland Region Principal Prison Officer Liberty Mhlanga confirmed the death and described it as untimely since she looked healthy during the short time she was in their custody.

“It was unfortunate that the deceased suspect was an undiagnosed diabetic patient, which we all later came to know of after she had passed on and after the prison doctor identified that her sugar levels were extremely high; which was probably because of the shock that she was imprisoned in her old age.

“After she collapsed, she was referred to Mutare Provincial  Hospital where she later died a few hours upon arrival and a post mortem by the doctor reviewed that Taramiwa’s untimely death was as a result of Hyper-Cylcamia-Coma clearly, meaning that the undiagnosed diabetes level rose higher than expected,” said PPO Mhlanga.

Taramiwa and her co-accused persons Norman Chimbuya (34) and Elizabeth Chimbuya (43) were not asked to plead to the murder charges they were facing when they appeared before senior Mutare magistrate Mrs Sekai Chiundura on June 30.

The trio was, however, remanded in custody to July 16 and Taramiwa succumbed to the diabetic attack on July 9 before her next court appearance.

Mrs Chiundura had advised the trio to apply for bail at the High Court since they were facing a serious offence.

When they appeared in court, prosecutor Mr Donald Mudadirwa said the three, together with a fourth person who is on the run, Patrick Chimbuya (35) acted on common purpose and fatally assaulted Oscar Chimbuya (43) following an argument over their father’s tombstone.

“The accused persons attacked Oscar Chimbuya with a hoe and a knife, while the others, who were not armed, kicked him, which led to his death upon arrival at Mutare Provincial Hospital,” said Mr Mudadirwa. Manica Post