By Codelia Mondela
A man has been arrested in connection with the murder of a man in Bulawayo’s Emakhandeni suburb on New Year’s Day.
Meluleki Ncube (30) from the same suburb is alleged to have committed the crime in the company of two accomplices who are still at large.
A court yesterday heard how the trio allegedly hit the deceased with a stone on the back of the head and he died on the spot.
The murder victim was not identified in court but The Chronicle on Tuesday said his relatives had identified him as Bhekimpilo Moyo (34).
In interviews, the deceased’s relatives also said he had been attacked using an axe, but the court was told that a stone was used in the fatal attack.
Ncube, who was represented by Mr Maqhawe Mpofu and Mr Dicksen Moyo of Samp Mlaudzi and Partners, appeared before Bulawayo magistrate Mr Franklin Mkhwananzi facing a murder charge.
Mr Mkhwananzi postponed the matter to Monday after Messrs Mpofu and Mlaudzi applied for refusal of further remand.
Mr Moyo said Ncube was a member of the Zimbabwe National Army and that there was no evidence that he committed the crime.He said Ncube was asleep and was only awakened by his brother who informed him that there was a commotion outside and he went there.
Mr Mpofu said there was no mention of a murder weapon being recovered from the scene.
“The investigating officer said they needed two weeks to record witness statements. There has to be more information to warrant further detention not gut feeling. The court should ask itself what the accused person said when he made indications at the scene,” he said.
Prosecuting, Mr Nkathazo Dlodlo said Ncube was arrested on Monday at 1PM.
He said: “Ncube in the company of his two accomplices who are still at large hit the deceased with a stone on the back of the head. He fell on the ground and died.” The Chronicle