Zimbabwe News and Internet Radio

Airzim boss’ murder: Gory details emerge

By Freeman Razemba

The International Police Organisation (Interpol) in Botswana has intensified investigations to ascertain the cause of death of Air Zimbabwe public relations executive Mrs Shingai Dhliwayo who was found dead in a bush in the neighbouring country.

Shingai Dhliwayo
Shingai Dhliwayo

Mrs Dhliwayo’s body was found tied onto a tree with both hands and legs also tied with a rope in a sitting position. Her mouth was gagged with a cloth, and she was bleeding from the nose.

The body was found about 5km from Plumtree Border Post in a bushy area and it is suspected that she had been lured by unknown assailants to travel to Botswana in a bid to rob her. It is suspected that there is a syndicate of criminals that is luring Zimbabwean businesspeople after promising them “lucrative deals” and then rob them after crossing into Botswana.

Last week, family members, in a series of Facebook posts, seemed to suggest that Mrs Dhliwayo, whose maiden name is Taruvinga, had been kidnapped.

Police in Botswana reportedly found her body and sent it to an unnamed hospital mortuary where her parents identified it on Saturday. The deceased’s brother, Mr Webster Taruvinga, said Interpol in Botswana was working tirelessly to get to the bottom of the case. “Interpol in Botswana is assisting so much in trying to nail the case down.

“They are concerned and keen to ascertain the cause of her death and to bring the culprits to book.

“The Botswana police is also working on the case while our embassy in Botswana is also assisting. I am sure they will get to the bottom of the case. As family members, we really want to know what transpired,” he said.

Mr Taruvinga said a post mortem would be conducted tomorrow (Wednesday) when the pathologist would be available and that is when they will arrange to repatriate the body for burial.

“The post mortem was supposed to have been conducted today (yesterday) but the pathologist said he will only be available on Wednesday (tomorrow). After the post mortem, that is when we will work on the documents to repatriate the body.

“My father is, however, still in Botswana and working on other logistics,” he said. Mrs Dhliwayo’s husband, Mr Totizirepi Dhliwayo arrived in Zimbabwe yesterday from Botswana to work on other documents that are needed. His friend, Mr Lesley Makarau said they would be travelling back to Botswana today (Tuesday).

“We will be leaving tomorrow with her husband for Francistown and as of now, we are still curious to know what exactly transpired,” he said. Air Zimbabwe passenger and cargo general manager Mr Chris Kwenda said they had also put in place a team that would assist till the case was finalised.

He said details of the burial will be announced once post mortem had been conducted. Mrs Dhliwayo travelled to Botswana on personal business last Saturday soon after the Trade Fair intending to come back the following day and she never came back.

Mrs Dhliwayo’s husband and parents decided to travel to Botswana to look for her that is when police told them of a body at the mortuary. Unconfirmed reports say Mrs Dhliwayo, who ran Shekinah Wedding Décor Unlimited – a catering business, had been invited for a business meeting in Botswana. The Herald