Zimbabwe News and Internet Radio

Acid attacker in court

By Mirirai Nsingo

MARONDERA – The 51 year old man who allegedly burnt his lover with sulphuric acid has appeared before a Marondera magistrate facing attempted murder charges.

Acid attack victim Rudo Bakasa
Acid attack victim Rudo Bakasa

Robson Munamba appeared before magistrate, Milton Serima but was however not asked to plead to the allegations and was remanded to June 22 in custody.

The State is still awaiting the complainant, Rudo Bakasa’s medical report as it was said that her condition is deteriorating.

The State, led by Shingirai Nyengere, alleges that on April 6, Robson, who resides in Botswana where he is employed as a mechanic, left for Zimbabwe where he intended to confront Rudo who had terminated their love affair.

It is said that Robson then smuggled five litres of sulphuric acid from Botswana which he intended to use in ‘dealing’ with Rudo and he managed to reach Glen Norah with the dangerous liquid.

Prosecutor Nyengere alleges that on May 8 around 2pm, Robson left for Masiyiwa village, Goromonzi, where Rudo resides with her mother, carrying the acid which was in a small bag.

Allegations are that upon his arrival at Rudo’s residence, the latter was no there and he was welcomed by her (Rudo) mother who accommodated him for the night.

Reports are that on May 9 at around 9am, Robson then phoned Rudo as he wanted to know her whereabouts and he got to know that she was on her way to Masiyiwa Village to attend a funeral.

Robson is said to have then immediately left the homestead so that he could intercept her at the bus stop which is about a kilometre away and he was ‘armed’ with the acid. At about 9.30am, Robson reportedly met Rudo who had disembarked a lift and he confronted her over the termination of the affair and the latter insisted that they must break up.

Claims are that Robson suddenly grabbed Rudo and tried to force her to drink the sulphuric acid which he had put in a smaller container but he was overpowered.

It is the State’s case that he then poured the sulphuric acid on her face and all over her body.

Rudo suffered severe burns and injuries as a result of the attack, it is alleged.

Suggestions are that he then dropped the remaining sulphuric acid which he had and disappeared from the scene.

Rudo was rushed to Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals where she is currently battling for her life in the Intensive Care Unit.

It is claimed that Robson was arrested after he was lured to the hospital. H Metro