General Sibanda likely headed into politics as Mnangagwa reshapes military command
HARARE – The retirement of Zimbabwe Defence Forces (ZDF) commander General Philip Valerio Sibanda and a fresh round of senior military appointments signal significant political manoeuvring by President Emmerson Mnangagwa ahead of future succession battles, analysts have stated.
Mnangagwa on Wednesday promoted Lieutenant General Emmanuel Matatu to full General and appointed him as the new ZDF commander, replacing General Sibanda, whose term ends on November 23.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Martin Rushwaya also announced the promotion of Major General Walter Tapfumaneyi to Lieutenant General, taking over Matatu’s previous role as commander of the Zimbabwe National Army.
Matatu, 72, has had a rapid rise this year, having been appointed army commander in March after the removal of Anselem Sanyatwe from the post.
In an analysis shared on Wednesday, prominent journalist Hopewell Chin’ono said he believes Sibanda is now likely to enter Zanu-PF politics. He argued that Sibanda could be appointed to replace Vice President Kembo Mohadi, whose retirement he said appears “imminent.”
According to Chin’ono, Sibanda did not previously join the Zanu-PF politburo because the Constitution barred serving security chiefs from holding political office, and because his United Nations pension restricted political participation.
With his retirement effective November 23, Chin’ono says Sibanda now has “a clean exit” and is well-positioned to assume a political role.
He further suggested that Sibanda could become the next Vice President representing the former ZAPU side of the 1987 Unity Accord, noting his ZIPRA background during the liberation struggle.
“I now see him going directly into politics, and being appointed as the replacement for Vice President Kembo Mohadi whose retirement is now imminent,” Chin’ono stated.
“I see General Sibanda becoming the new Vice President representing ZAPU, which is consistent with the 1987 Unity Accord signed by Robert Mugabe and Joshua Nkomo to end the genocide in Matabeleland and the Midlands. He was a ZIPRA military commander during the war of liberation.”
He also argued that Mnangagwa is tightening control of the military. He pointed to the promotion of Major General Tapfumaneyi, described as a key figure in Mnangagwa’s 2023 campaign, to Lieutenant General and commander of the Zimbabwe National Army (ZNA).
Chin’ono said he views this as a temporary placement, predicting that Tapfumaneyi will eventually take over the entire defence forces once the newly appointed Commander of the ZDF, General Emmanuel Matatu, reaches retirement age in about six months.
He added that the restructuring of military leadership reduces the likelihood of any internal challenge to Mnangagwa, saying the top ranks are being reorganised in a way that makes a coup attempt “increasingly unlikely.”
Matatu assumes command at a time when the defence forces continue to exert significant influence over national politics.
Senior commanders have historically shaped leadership transitions, most notably in 2017 when the military intervened to remove former president Robert Mugabe amid Zanu PF internal disputes.
The operation, led by then General Constantino Chiwenga, cleared the way for Mnangagwa to assume power.
Since then, several former or serving military officers have taken up key roles in government, state enterprises and diplomatic missions.
Sibanda, who took over the ZDF command from Chiwenga in 2017, has been widely regarded as a calm and stabilising presence within the military. Unlike some of his predecessors, he has maintained a low political profile. His next role has not been officially announced.
Former cabinet minister Jonathan Moyo described Sibanda as “an officer and a gentleman,” praising his more than five decades of service, from the liberation struggle, through United Nations missions, to his leadership of the ZNA and ZDF.
“An Officer and a Gentleman, retiring after more than five decades of unwavering dedication, valour, and distinguished service to Zimbabwe,” Moyo stated.
“From his heroic contributions during the National Liberation Struggle—rising with distinction through the ranks post-independence—to leading United Nations peacekeeping missions, commanding the Zimbabwe National Army from 2003 to 2017, and serving as Commander of the Zimbabwe Defence Forces since 2017, he has exemplified level-headed leadership and remained scandal-free throughout.
“A true pillar of professionalism, integrity, and honour in the ZDF, his career was not merely served but masterfully led, inspiring generations. Well done, General—may your legacy endure!” Moyo wrote.



