Zimbabwe News and Internet Radio

SABC’s Generations suspended until December

SOUTH AFRICA – Against a background of reports that President Jacob Zuma’s daughter Gugu Zuma is working on a replacement production for top South African soapie Generations, the SABC announced on Friday that the show will be off air until December.

Striking Generations actors in mass sacking
Striking Generations actors who were sacked enmasse

The broadcaster referred in a statement to “minor changes to its TV schedule, in light of the fact that SABC 1 soap drama Generations will be revamped”.

The revamp followed the termination of the contracts of 16 actors by MMSV Productions, it said, and the soapie would return once new episodes had been filmed.

It would be replaced by SABC 1 drama Skeem Saam Season 3.

Meanwhile, the Generations Actors Guild (GAG) has filed papers with the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA) for reinstatement.

The actors were fired on August 18 for going on strike over a wage dispute.

The actors said in a statement they were “resolute in our commitment to transforming unfair industry practices”.

“That resolve remains unshaken, and in light of our employer’s stance, we have now filed the issue with the CCMA.”

The show’s hiatus comes at an all-time ratings high.

Last week Sowetan reported that Gugu Zuma was working on Uzalo, a replacement production with Muvhango creator Duma Ndlovu.

Ndlovu has been posting about Uzalo on his Facebook profile, although not referring to it as a replacement for Generations.

“Uzalo is a KZN based drama that will be shot in Durban… it will be broadcast three days a week on SABC 1. It will be coming to your living rooms shortly!” he wrote in June.

In August he wrote: “All I can say is that we are ready to unleash a new generation of young vibrant South African actors, new faces, strong actors and a new chapter for the entire industry”. Weekend Argus

Comments