By Nelson Sibanda
Thousands of youths who applied for IDs at the Registrar General’s office ahead of the 2013 elections have still not received the documents.
This is despite claims by Tobaiwa Mudede’s office that the applicants were issued with the IDs long back and should pay $20 fines for replacement.
Several efforts by the applicants to collect the IDs at centres established to cater for aspiring undocumented voters last year were fruitless, as authorities insist the documents were not processed.
At Besa Primary, Seke rural, the headmaster referred affected applicants to Makoni RG’s offices. But a visit to that office brought no joy.
“We issued the documents to applicants long back and anyone who claims not having received should pay a $20 replacement fine,” said a registering officer.
The development confirms fears raised by MDC-T that some Zanu (PF) supporters used fraudulently acquired IDs to vote several times at the 2013 polls. MDC-T spokesperson, Douglas Mwonzora, said over 20,000 of his party’s youths had failed to access IDs they applied for before last July.
“We remain concerned by failure by the applicants to receive important documents they applied for eight months down the line,” Mwonzora said.
Irene Sunday of Chitungwiza said she was in a dilemma as she never received her ID , which was recorded as issued at the Makoni RG’s office.
“I and dozens of other youths in my situation have been advised to pay a $20 replacement fine to be issued with the documents we never received in the first place,” she said.
Questions sent to Mudede’s office were not responded at the time of going to print, although a receptionist said “Your questions were sent to the RG Administration department and would respond soon.” The Zimbabwean