Zimbabwe News and Internet Radio

Woman drowns disabled toddler

POLICE have launched a manhunt for a 24-year-old Gokwe woman who allegedly threw her disabled toddler into a well where she drowned before going into hiding.

Woman drowns disabled toddler
Woman drowns disabled toddler

Acting police spokesperson for Midlands province Assistant Inspector Ethel Mukwende said the suspect, Hilder Madondo (24) of Matendere Village under Chief Chireya, was still at large.

“Circumstances are that on 4 February 2011, the suspect, Hilder Madondo who had left her four- year-old disabled daughter, Irene Kambawa, in the custody of her parents was summoned to her parents’ homestead. The parents then told Madondo to take her child who was also hearing-impaired to Gokwe town where she was based as they were now committed to other duties,” said Asst Insp Mukwende.

She said the following day, Madondo’s parents woke up and went to their fields leaving Hilder at the homestead with her two children including Irene.

“While the parents were still away, Madondo allegedly took her daughter Irene and threw her into a well near the homestead before she disappeared with her other able-bodied child, an elder sister to the now deceased Irene,” she said.

Asst Insp Mukwende said Irene’s body was later found floating in the well by Madondo’s cousin.

“The matter was reported to the police who then attended to the scene. At the scene, there were no signs that the now deceased could have crawled before drowning in the well, raising suspicion that the girl was thrown into the well,” she said.

Asst Insp Mukwende said Madondo went into hiding following the incident.

“We appeal to members of the public who might have information that might lead to Madondo’s arrest to approach any nearest police station. They can also make use of police suggestion boxes,” she said.

In an unrelated incident, an unidentified man was found dead in a mineshaft in Zvishavane with some rocks tied to his legs. Asst Insp Mukwende said the man’s body was discovered on Tuesday morning by a security guard on duty at the mine.

“Circumstances are that on Tuesday at about 8am, Timothy Mandava (33) a security guard at Torwood Mine was on duty guarding the mine when he went to one of the mine shafts intending to fetch some water.

“He then found a human body floating in the mine shaft which was full of water,” she said.

Asst Insp Mukwende said Mr Mandava alerted the mine manager, Mr Alex Zireva, who then made a report to the police.

“Police attended to the scene and discovered that there were some huge stones which were tied to the now deceased’s legs. The body which was in an advanced state of decomposition had some injuries on the left shoulder which suggested that he could have been stabbed by a sharp object,” she said.

Asst Insp Mukwende said the body was taken to Zvishavane District Hospital for a post-mortem. She said police investigations were still underway.