Freelance journalist, Paul Pindani, is reportedly battling for life after he was abducted from his home and severely assaulted in Mashonaland West’s provincial capital of Chinhoyi on Friday, 14 June 2013.
Pindani was assaulted by at least three assailants who are not yet known. Reports say the journalist’s attackers, who were wearing masks, went to his home, knocked and upon opening the door in response, Pindani had a piece of cloth shoved into his mouth, ostensibly to prevent him from shouting for help.
The journalist was then dragged to Mt. Tikwiri shopping centre where he was severely attacked with unknown objects before his attackers disappeared into the night. Pindani managed to find his way back home, where he narrated the harsh ordeal to his wife before falling unconscious, reports say.
He is currently receiving medical attention. The motive for the attack remains unknown. Police spokesperson, Inspector Clemence Mabgweazara, confirmed the incident and says investigations are in progress. No arrests have been made so far.
The Zimbabwe Chapter of the Media Institute of Southern Africa (MISA-Zimbabwe) has urged the police to be thorough in their investigations and bring Pindani’s attackers to book.
“The arrest of the assailants will send a clear and unequivocal message that the police will not tolerate these wanton and very disturbing attacks against journalists going about their lawful professional duties.
“Bringing the culprits to book will not only help in creating a safe working environment for journalists, but will undoubtedly act as a strong deterrent against such barbaric criminal acts,” Misa said.