By Helen Kadirire
Harare mayor Bernard Manyenyeni has said Mbare residents who are claiming $57 000 in compensation following damage to their property by flooding may not get anything.
The affected residents have dragged the Harare City Council to court over the matter.
Manyenyeni confirmed to the Daily News that there had been several claims from Mbare residents, most of them for damage to their residential property.
He said council will look into the matter, however, it was not a guarantee that the residents would get anything.
“We will look at the papers and their demands but you have to understand that anyone can demand stuff. We will deal with their lawyers,” he said.
More than 30 residents living along Mbirimi, Mwamuka, Chinamhora and Dumbujena streets claim that the city did not inspect the Gulf Sunshine Bazaar when it was being constructed.
“On December 26, flash floods occurred as a result of negligent and reckless construction of a drainage system and building of Harare Sunshine Bazaar Mall along Simon Mazorodze Road.
“We are further advised that the original drainage system and lines were tempered with by the constructors and you approved the construction without diligent checks as should be the case,” read the residents’ letter to Manyenyeni and acting town clerk Josephine Ncube.
HCC chief roads engineer Jonathan Mutimkulu said the city did not inspect clogged pipes caused by construction of the complex. He said that had the city noticed the fault, they would have fixed it before any damage to property had been done.
“Surface run-off was there but it could be accommodated in the open space that existed before the complex. Pipes had already been clogged but it is now very visible because of the construction of the complex. That is why we now have to re-excavate the drains and open them up. It means as a city we did not know that the drains were not functional but because of this structure we now know,” Mutimkulu said. Daily News