By Tatenda Dewa
Zimbabwean veteran journalist, Lloyd Mutungamiri, who was seriously injured when suspected military hitmen in Lesotho shot him, has been transferred to South Africa for medical attention.
Mutungamiri, the editor of the independent Lesotho Times, was waylaid by unknown people on his way from work and shot through the jaw on Saturday at his Lower Thamae residence in Maseru.
His wife, Tsitsi told the media that she suspected army hitmen tried to kill him, after his publication wrote a story that exposed the commander of the Lesotho Defence Forces (LDF), Tlali Kamoli.
He has previously been detained by police over a story that the Lesotho Times ran on Kamoli, indicating that he had demanded a $3 million payout to leave the army after SADC expressed concern over his human rights record.
MISA-Lesotho said in a statement on Tuesday that police had confirmed that a bullet went through Mutangamiri’s jaw.
The journalist was subsequently sent to a Maseru hospital where he was under 24 hour surveillance before being transferred to Bloemfontein where is reported to be in a stable condition.
Meanwhile police in Lesotho have launched an investigation into attempt on Mutungamiri’s life. Police spokesperson, Clifford Molefe, said: “The incident occurred around 23:30 hours on Saturday and we are still investigating what could be the cause of this tragedy. The public will be informed once the investigations are completed.” Nehanda Radio