By Prosper Ndlovu
BULAWAYO – A two year old boy has miraculously survived being run over by a goods train.
Charles Simende, from Bulawayo’s Mzilikazi suburb, was playing with other children when he wandered off into the path of a Bulawayo-bound NRZ train shortly after 5pm on Wednesday.
The boy’s mum, Ms Theressia Tshuma — who lives at Ntabazinduna Flats — told The Chronicle she passed out when she learnt of the accident.
“I was numb. I couldn’t look at him,” she said from little Charles’ bedside at Mpilo.
“My neighbours had to take control of the situation and rush my son to the hospital. He suffered serious head injuries. He went for a scan yesterday [Thursday] and the doctor said he will recover. He’s getting better and is now able to talk a bit.”
She said Charles’ survival was a “miracle”.
“This is unbelievable. God is merciful to me and has saved my son. It’s very unusual for anyone to survive such an incident, especially a child.”
Charles’ home is just 10 metres from the railway track linking Bulawayo and Harare via Dabuka in Gweru. Little Charles was oblivious to the danger as he played with other children from the neighbourhood.
The boy’s aunt, Miss Mpho Tshuma, said her family rushed to the scene when they heard children’s screams.
“It was around 5pm and Charles was in the company of other children. No-one noticed that they were at the railway line since all parents were indoors,” she said.
“As the train was passing, we suddenly heard screams and we ran out.
“The other children had gone and Charles lay besides the railway line, crying. He did not have any bone breakages but sustained injuries in the head. He also lost his front teeth and his eyes are swollen.”
NRZ spokesperson Mr Fanuel Masikati said an investigation had been launched. The Chronicle
Jul 24, 2014 1