Indigenisation Minister Saviour Kasukuwere has made a dramatic u-turn from earlier threats to take over privately run schools in the country as part of a controversial empowerment drive led by Zanu PF.
Education, Sport and Culture Minister Senator David Coltart said he met Kasukuwere Wednesday evening and he told him the schools will now be spared. Writing on his facebook page Coltart said;
“Minister Kasukuwere and I agreed that mission, religious, church and community trust schools run not for profit will not be subject to indigenisation. I am pleased to report that I had a very constructive discussion with Kasukuwere this evening regarding the notice recently issued.
“We are agreed that the rights contained in section 20(3) of the Constitution, namely the right of religious and other groups to set up and run schools, will be fully respected by government.”
“I hope that the agreement in this regard will settle all those parents, teachers, administrators and other interested in the education sector who feared that this critically important component of our education sector was going to be disrupted,” Coltart added.
“I encourage all those who have been concerned this past week to stop worrying and to get on with the fine work they have been doing in delivering a quality education to tens of thousands of Zimbabwean children.”
A government notice issued last week by Kasukuwere gave foreign-owned banks and private schools a year to comply with a law requiring 51 percent shareholding by local blacks.
To help maintain editorial independence Nehanda Radio relies on donations from readers like you. No donation is too small or too big. Help by donating to fund our operations.